Saturday, October 8, 2016

Special Edition ~ Annual Branson, Missouri Homeschool Week


Each year the Missouri State homeschool Association host homeschool week in Branson, Missouri. There is special discounts all over Branson that week. It's always the first full weekend of October and goes the entire week. Silver Dollar City is part of the activities. Vince, my husband, was not able to come this year. So my dad and step mother took us.

As usual, I completely and utterly forgot to take many pictures. I get wrapped up in what we are doing and totally space out on taking pictures!

The kids were enrolled in several classes though.

Candle Dipping (one of their favorites each year).

Hand/Finger Knitting Scarf Making. Sadly I only enrolled Belle and Lela, and RJ was really upset I had not enrolled him as well. It was such a inexpensive class (literally cheaper than the yarn used). I wish I had enrolled him too. I don't have photos of the scarves but they were really really nice. Belle's was pink. I am actually blogging this much later, and I can't remember what color Lela's was. The lady who taught this, Becky, also homeschooled all her children! One of her sons also works at Silver Dollar City.

Watching Taffy being made, and they each got to leave with a 1/2 pound of Taffy. While this was fun. And most kids would LOVE a half pound of taffy. My kids do not each much candy. So most of it went to waste and was thrown away. Honestly I will not pay for this one again, as you can watch them make Taffy for free all the time at Silver Dollar City even during this homeschool time, but you wouldn't get to go home with 1/2 lb of taffy. And that would be just fine for us! I had enrolled my children because I thought they would get to help make the taffy. But, it was only watching it being made for this class.



A Historical Train ride, and the children were able to leave with a historical photo of the train. It was a really neat and informational tour. It's slightly different each year, with different history each year. So we do it every year. We were able to meet a fellow sister, Jennifer, who also homeschools, and her husband, and 2 sons on this ride.

And a Historical Tour of Marble Cave. Very physical, but always a highlight of our trip.


Of course we were also able to do a lot of other things while at Silver Dollar City as well. RJ was selected to be on the Saloon Show.



They also were able to visit a original one room School House, much like the one my grandmother Lela most likely attended school in. And learn a little history about how school was in the Ozarks 100 years ago.


On the way home my dad found a new and faster way to come back to Kansas. There was so much winding though that both Belle and Lela got car sick. I stopped and bought motion sickness medication. Lela took hers and did not vomit, but Belle hid hers under the seat, she said because she was scared she wouldn't like it, and vomited all over the back seat. We stopped at Stoops, little did I know it would be our last time, as they later closed their doors for good, after being in business selling Jehovah's Witness service supplies for over 50 years. And my dad hosed out the backseat. My dad, even though he is not a Jehovah's Witness even said he would go back to Stoops again. Too bad it had to close. 



No comments: