Saturday, April 9, 2016

Weekend Edition~What about Co-ops?



Many people love co-ops. Mainly because they worry about their competence in teaching certain subjects. (see my post on How can I teach my child every thing?) And some also would like their children to learn to take direction from others. Which as christians, we want our children to be obedient to their parents, and Jehovah. Be very careful who else you teach your child to obey. Do they have the same morals and values as you? Others would just like some time away from the children. However, most co-ops do require each parent to volunteer to help in some way, so that doesn't exactly work.

While co-ops are a personal choice. We choose not to do them. I have serious health problems, that make my ability to commit myself to a regular schedule difficult. We also only have one car, and I do not drive. So that would mean we would have to hitch rides to one. Also I like to have complete control over what my children are learning and how. Living on a single income as well, many co-ops are very expensive. For these reasons we do not feel the need be members of a co-op. But, again many people love them and they work well for their families and that is awesome for them as well.

Which ever choice you make on to join a co-op or not though. I would plead with you, to keep your first year of homeschooling simple. And not over schedule yourself with rigid programs. Get used to being at home with your children, and the ways in which you want to go with teaching them. Keep your life as free and easy as possible. Many people say they had a steep learning curve to homeschooling. But, I seriously believe we did not have that curve because of my easy going and less scheduled frame of mind and not having such commitments looming over me. So weather you feel a co-op would be a good fit for your family or not. Try to wait it out for one year first, to find your bearings in homeschooling, your personal amount of scheduling, and freedom that you need. So you will not become overwhelmed, and burn out. And just add one step at a time. Co-ops, and other extra curricular activities can wait til year 2. This year, just find your balance, and you can always choose to just join more relaxed groups that do not have any commitments tied to them, that may just meet at a local park or museum, and if you go you go and if not it's not a big deal with them. These types of activities have been awesome for us. We get to get out of the house on our schedule and have some great field trips when we want. But, if I or my children are sick, we aren't tied to having to fulfill some commitment either!

Take it easy, and take it slow, and have patience with yourself as you follow your homeschooling life journey. Do not over stress your family by being over scheduled and over committed.


No comments: