Saturday, April 2, 2016

Weekend Edition~Beverly Cleary



Beverly Cleary was one of my favorite authors as a child. I remember for years, checking out her books at the library every week!

I normally do not share secular links on my blog. But, recently a fellow sister shared this article from the Washington Post, and I just must share it.

Beverly Clearly turns 100 phone interview

The reason, I just feel so compelled to share this article, is not because she turned 100. But, what we can learn as mothers and educators today. The points that stood out to me are the things I speak about in my blog often.

1) Mothers being at home caring for their own children, like they did in Beverly's childhood, gave children much more freedom. To be outside, play and learn.

2) She also almost failed first grade. It was not developmentally right for her then. Yet, it did not hinder her academic success later in life, most obviously!

3) Beverly did not start reading on her own til 3rd grade! Yet, she grew up to be a very well read author! Third grade folks! And she was a girl. This is the natural age for girls to begin to read. And boys often even later. But, it does NOT hinder them. It really does not. Public schools have gotten out of control with what they want children to do, and it is not developmentally appropriate.

4) She loved how much her mother read to her, and that was why she didn't mind not reading earlier. My middle daughter was the same way. haha But, seriously the main point of that line, her mother read to her! Read to your children mamas it's ok if they aren't reading to their selves, you just keep reading to those babies... no matter how old they are.

So mamas, stay calm. It's ok if your 4 year old can not read and write. They will be OK. Let them play, let them discover and learn through playing. When they are developmentally ready, they WILL learn academics and be fine! They really really will.

No comments: