Monday, May 16, 2016

Guest Blogger~Perfect moment of Unschooling ..

Perfect moment of Unschooling on our drive home from gymnastics class today. I read this quote to our daughters & asked them what they thought each sentence meant. Personally I have been struggling with letting go with the structure of PS. I wanted to Unschool, but the reality of changing 7 plus years of the way we have been learning it's been a struggle for all of us. I have to say today I realized we have made HUGE strides & are truly being successful as an Unschooling family. Our conversation started with how we learn from a variety of people that are outside of our normal 'crowd'. I learned they did not understand what 'social class' meant (of which is not a bad thing but a good talking point), which lead to discussing how we should help others (we talked about how we had recently helped a family in our congregation with a meal during a difficult time in their lives .. their baby was sick). Which lead to us talking about how others have helped us. The girls lead the conversation & brought up about how our youngest was very ill after she was born. Then the subject changed to science/health in regards the illness she was born with. We talked about how our bodies work, including discussing organ transplants. The girls asked, 'Mom what does DNA actually stand for'? I know it may have seemed we were all over the place with our conversation, but one subject naturally fed into the next. All of this happened within a 30 minute drive. I am so proud of myself & our girl's!

~Marcie Okpakpor

No comments: