Saturday, December 3, 2016

Weekend Edition~Pen Pals



This week I want to discuss pen pals, and their value.

Every one worries about teaching children proper grammar. But, really studies show that work books for the most part are not retained when it comes to this. But, usage, and reading GOOD literature with proper grammar does. And I would dare to add, I am sure using it in writing would even more instill it. In REAL life writing, not just workbooks.

1- What more fun way to teach Grammar then a fun pen pal. I will warn though, that I never suggest my child revise her letters more then once or twice. What I usually do at this point, is help her come up with a list of topics she wants to talk about in the letter, and we write down all the ideas, and topics. Then I give her the list, and let her design the letter how she would like. After that I read it. If I can read and understand it, it's good! If I have trouble reading it, or understanding it, I show her what I am having problems with. (mainly for my daughter it is spacing between words so it's not all one word for a whole page! lol I know if I can't make heads or tails of it, either could her pal!). But, if it's good enough I can read it and understand it, I may give her a few pointers, like well you should capitalize the first letter in a new sentence, But, I do NOT tell her she has to re-write it, I just remind her for the next letter to maybe keep that in mind. With time this will all work it self out!

2- It can involve art. Girls especially love to decorate their letters! lol

3- It could teach geography as you look at and maybe even study a little bit about where their pen pal lives.

4- Social studies, as they learn about the culture of their pen pal.

5- Friendship! They could make a friend they have for a life time! Real life lessons!

6- Stamp collecting, we even have her pen pals send us back the used stamps so we can use them for our stamp collection. Which the book Home Sweet Home School goes into great detail about ALL the things you can learn from Stamp Collecting, which I may just make my own post on that as well! But, let's just say it's a LOT, and very fun learning experience all on it's own as well!

No comments: