Saturday, March 4, 2017

Weekend Edition~AAHH Almost here!



It's almost convention time, Homeschool Convention that is!

Mine starts this Thursday night...

Thankfully I already made a master list of all the homeschool things I have, and don't need to buy! (that way I don't accidentally buy it again! lol haha) And making a list of the essentials I need to either get a good look at in person or buy.

Homeschool conventions only last a few days, and are loaded with workshops and vendors! So many that it can get overwhelming, exciting, exhausting! And you plain old forget what you already have, what you had wanted to look at, and what you had planned on getting!

So I suggest at least a month ahead of time (so it's not having to be all rushed) going through all your homeschool curricula and supplies, re-evaluating what your goals and needs are for each child. With ALL the shiny new stuff and the smooth talkers you can really end up spending way more then you had budgeted, and either not like or not even use half the stuff you spent too much money on. So having a list of what you already own, and a clear current view of what you are planning written down can really narrow down things for you ahead of time, before the overwhelment and smooth talkers get a hold of you! It doesn't mean you shouldn't talk to the vendors, ask questions and learn about new things and new methods, but having some notes written down to remind you of your goals, can help you pick through what may work better for your child/ren and family, instead of being pie eyed for ALL the stuff you see and hear about!

I can't tell you how many things sound at the time awesome! But, when I review my goals and plans... I can either see I already have that thoroughly covered by something we have at home already, or what I had planned on using and buying really will work probably better. And yes, sometimes I DO find something new I didn't know about and for sure want to get and we do use it.

For instance last year, I seen a science book by Rod and Staff, that looked amazing! Tons of real photos of animals and plant life, nature from all over the world. However, it was not in my budget last year. Later on Costco had something similar.. and was about 1/3 of the price.. I bought it, and we began to use it and then HATED it, as it was common core, and sooo much evolution it was hard to filter the false from the truth. It wasn't just a little.. it was just saturated with such falsehoods it was just more frustrating then enjoyable. So believe me, the Rod and Staff book is for sure being KEPT in the budget this year! It will not be anything like that Costco book, and honestly the Rod and Staff book had better photos too!

Last month I made the list of what I had, and the last few weeks been doing the research of what other things I want to add to our stock pile! lol But, I will still go in there with open mind, to learning more and even seeing if there is anything else that may be a good fit... but I know that my written goals, and plans will help keep me centered and from getting all "squirrel!!!" once I get there! lol

Feel free, to add any of your own tips, and tricks that you do to prepare for your homeschool conventions too!

If you attend yours, I hope you have a fun, entertaining and educational time, getting your refill of homeschool motivation for the year! I know I will!

No comments: